Thursday, December 13, 2012

On to Woleai

Aren't they adorable?  They followed us all over the island.
It turns out the Christmas air drop by the Airforce was postponed until Friday. Not wanting to get into Yap next week during "afterhours" (= to big bucks), we decided to go ahead and go to Wolei. We would have skipped it all together but we already promised some folks in Lamotrek that we would take some letters and food to their kids at school there.

Tuesday afternoon, we went in to collect the stuff and say our goodbyes. It was so much fun. Everyone wanted to shake our hands and tell us "Merry Chirstmas. Have a safe trip." It made us feel like they really enjoyed us being there. Michaeila and her family made us some snacks of breadfruit, taro chips, and coconut candy for our passage and more leis. Another woman, Augustina, gave me another lava lava in thanks for taking her son some food/mail. We were sent off with stalks of bananas and lots of coconuts. In the end, I like to think we gave more than took. I know Andy fixed a ton of stuff and we gave away everything from movies to batteries to old sails. They invited us back "anytime" and said they would miss us. We'll miss them too. A very nice place, indeed.

We left yesterday for Wolei and are now about 30 miles out. We should get there sometime after lunch. We found out right before we left, that there is another plane doing a Christmas drop in Wolei on Friday as well, so we might actually get to see that after all.

It's been a nice sail (motor sail, last night), though we did see a few long liners in the night. One passed pretty darn close to us and we're still not convinced he saw us. Andy lit up the sails with a giant flashlight and we pulled the motor back as he passed in front of us. After almost three years sailing out here, I've learned, there's only one law of the sea out in the ocean....the law of mass tonnage. They rarely see you (as they've got it on autopilot and are sleeping), they rarely answer the radio, and they rarely change course. Always important to keep a good watch. You may go months without seeing another ship, and then, like last night, we saw two and the one went within a mile of us.

So, we're almost Atoll-ed out, but we're going to give Wolei a few days, then head on to Yap...and buy some vegetables.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed watching the pictures you took of the islands. Some what I see that you enjoyed it but a bit annoyed of them islanders. But great to have you visit our remote islands and atolls. You also mentioned that you brought some stuff from the islands down to Yap main from families. I radio conference with my uncle in Lamotrek and he said he gave a letter for me to a couple who are sailing to Yap and was suppose to get it from them. I was kind of not sure which sailing boat it was by the time I got the radio conference with Jesse in Lamotrek, there were more than two sailing boats in the Yap Lagoon. I was just hoping I would get the letter from one of the crew from the sails but I guess I just didnt get to meet them.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.